Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

3 Layer Diaper Cake

Today I made a diaper cake for my good friend Melody.  She is having a little boy at the end of October and this coming weekend I am co-hosting her baby shower.  I decided to make her a diaper cake as my gift to her.  This is my second cake.  The first one I made for Stephanie when she was pregnant with my little man Christopher.  I learned a lot from that cake experience and I think I improved on this second cake.  I have decided to make a recipe for all who want to take on the challenge at their next shower. 

Ingredients

  • 65 diapers
  • 2 8oz bottles
  • ribbon
  • baby accessories (toys, pacifiers, rags, etc)
  • tape
  • hot glue gun
  • thick poster board (something sturdy to put the cake on)
  • wrapping paper (optional)   

Directions

The first thing you need to do is gather your supplies

P1010387

Next, you need to tape your 2 8 oz bottles together.

P1010388

After that is completed, the fun begins.  You will need 35 diapers for the bottom layer, 20 for the middle, and 10 for the top.  Start with the bottom layer by wrapping one diaper at a time around the bottles then tape.  (You will be using a lot tape, my advice is to tear off your strips and put them on the table for easy access.)  You continue this till you have used all the diapers for each layer. 

P1010389  

The next step is to glue the ribbon on.  (To keep the diapers usable try to avoid gluing directly on the diapers.  You can use a piece tape where ever needed.)  I used multiple colors and ribbon but this is not necessary. 

P1010391

After you have finished gluing the ribbon on, it is now safe to put on your accessories.  This is where you get to have fun and be creative.  The very last step is making a base for your cake.  I took a rectangular poster board that was thick and wrapped it in a baby wrapping paper.  This is my finished project.

P1010392

P1010393

P1010394

P1010395

2 comments: